Grey Towers

7 Key Steps to Preparing for Final Exams

Photo Retrieved from https://u.osu.edu/pushka.1/2014/04/07/grade-inflation-the-underlying-problem-plaguing-our-universities/

I’m Evi, and I’m a junior, which means this is my third year here at Maryvale. And let me tell you, these final exams are no walk in the park. Finals are Maryvale are some hardcore stuff, so let’s get down to business. First, know your name, that’s important. Second, ask yourself this question: how exactly does one study for Maryvale final exams? Well lucky for you, here are 7 essential steps to prepare you for finals.

1. Quiz Yourself

Setting up your own personal quiz to take will help you memorize information while making it and while taking it. If you get a few wrong, redo it! Keep doing it until you memorized the answers to all the questions, and that way, when you take the exam, you will see the question and immediately know the answer. Quizlet, used by probably more than half the students here, is an app where you can study with flashcards, memory games, and quiz yourself on what you’ve learned. It is free, and all you need is an account. Kahoot is another well known app/website, everyone here has played it at least once. You can make your own quiz, study with friends, and  compete against them. Last, but not least, the app Studyblue is a great app for quizzing, asking questions, and memorizing material.

2. Write it Out

Saying the answer aloud, though it helps, is not always the most efficient way to memorize information. Writing out the words is proven to help efficiently with studying, because seeing the answer written out will help you remember it in the future. This study further explains why writing it out will help you remember more easily.

3. Acronyms

If you have to memorize a list or group of things, one of the easiest ways would be to make a word out of it. Let’s say you had to remember a list like, “He moved to East Egg, met with his cousin Daisy, went to New York with Tom, then left after Tom hit Myrtle”, you could pick out the most important word from each part: E (East Egg), D (Daisy), T (Tom), M (Myrtle). Then, you can make a phrase out of it: Every Day Takes Minutes. This way, when you see the question, you will think of the phrase, write out the first letters, and know what to do from there.

4. Study with a Friend

Getting quizzed by a friend can help you study faster. And though most people don’t realize, quizzing a friend will really help you remember the information much faster.

5. Give Yourself Time

Do NOT wait until the weekend of the exam to start reviewing. Set up amounts of time that are not too big, or too small, to put aside everything and just focus on the information for the exam. You could spend about 30 minutes reviewing one subject, and then spend the same amount of time on the next subject. Give yourself certain amounts of time where you will not think it is too short to worry about or too long to have time for when the time comes. And do NOT say you will do it tomorrow. Get it over with so you aren’t stressing the day before exams.

6. Color Code

Color coding helps you differentiate certain things and keep everything organized. For example, if you have to know which parts in physics are Vector and which are Scalor, color code! The goal is that when you think of a word, a certain color will come to mind! This study will go into detail on the benefits of color coding and how it all works!

7. Repeat

Quizzing yourself once will not help you memorize the information. In order to get a good grade, repetition is key. Keep studying until you’ve memorized everything necessary for the exam. All that hard work and time will eventually pay off.

I’m hoping these 7 tips were inciteful. Pleaseeee do not wait until last minute to study (I did that for midterms, it did not end very well). Start studying soon, because with the rate this year is going, finals will be arriving in about 3 minutes. You do not want to waste time, be unprepared, blank out, bomb the exams, and spoil your summer. Do it for summer!

• 7 Key Steps to Preparing for Final Exams

News

Congratulations Athletes!

• School Life

Seniors’ Final Days: A Gallery

Culture

8 Tips for a Great Gym Meet

Entertainment

6 Tips for Incoming Seniors

School Life

Imbolo Mbue and Behold the Dreamers

School Life

Walk Out Prayer Service

Showcase

Haley Wehberg Named Prep Player of the Week

Clubs

Introducing the Ski Club!

Culture

Names and Dates of Black History Month

Service

Lions or Polar Bears? Students Take the Plunge

The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School