Grey Towers

Get Excited for The Lion King, Jr. and Annie!

Here at Maryvale, our theater department has been hard at work to put on not one, but two shows.

THE LION KING, JR.

The Lion King, Jr. is set to be on Saturday the 10th at 7:00 and Sunday the 11th at 3:00.   Anyone who has been in McCarthy after school has seen Middle Schoolers hard at work, dancing, singing, and practicing lines.

The cast is comprised of:

6th Grader Holly Jean Burke as Young Simba

6th Grader, Mary Clare Aroh as Young Nala

8th grader Grace Salafia as Grown Simba

8th grader Mary Beth Williams as Grown Nala

8th grader Abby Maffezzoli as Timon

8th grader Charlie Burke as Pumba

According to Broadway.com, the synopsis of The Lion King is:

A lively stage adaptation of the Academy Award-winning 1994 Disney film, The Lion King is the story of a young lion prince living in the flourishing African Pride Lands. Born into the royal family, precocious cub Simba spends his days exploring the sprawling savanna grasslands and idolizing his kingly father, Mufasa, while youthfully shirking the responsibility his position in life requires. When an unthinkable tragedy, orchestrated by Simba’s wicked uncle, Scar, takes his father’s life, Simba flees the Pride Lands, leaving his loss and the life he knew behind. Eventually companioned by two hilarious and unlikely friends, Simba starts anew. But when weight of responsibility and a desperate plea from the now ravaged Pride Lands come to find the adult prince, Simba must take on a formidable enemy, and fulfill his destiny to be king. A vibrant and exciting tale from the great creatives at Disney, The Lion King is a story of love and redemption that nobody should miss.

Last week the Maryvale community was graced with an excellent play preview to cultivate even more interest among our students, faculty, and staff. Between all of the talent, props, scenery, choreography, and overall hard work, the play is bound to be a hit. Thanks to the amazing work of Mrs. Manuel and Ms. Malloy, as well as Upper School assistants, the Middle Schoolers are thriving on the stage.

ANNIE

On a more recent note, auditions for Annie, the spring musical, were held on January 18th and 19th. The auditions were impressive.  A synopsis on Broadway.com describes the show:

Based on the popular comic strip, Annie tells the extraordinary story of a little orphan who spends ends up in the lap of luxury with Depression-era billionaire Oliver Warbucks. Unlike most of the other children at Miss Hannigan’s orphanage, spunky Annie believes that her parents are still alive and will one day return to claim her. So when Mr. Warbucks offers to adopt her, she asks the most powerful man in America to help find her real mom and dad instead, and he agrees. Warbucks’ whopping reward for Annie’s parents attracts the attention of con artists Rooster, Lily and the wicked Miss Hannigan, who hatch a plot to kidnap Annie and take the $50,000 reward. But don’t fret: This classic family musical has a happy ending for Annie, Daddy Warbucks and the whole gang.

After much deliberation from directors, the featured cast-list is as follows:

Sara Stromberg as Annie

Destiny Hargrove as Ms. Hannigan

Becky Williams as Grace Farrell

Taylor Parrot as Lily St. Regis.

Many other talented girls will also be featured in this production, as well several boys from other schools. Many are already eagerly anticipating the productions on April 21st and 22nd.

Break a leg, Maryvale Theatre!

• Get Excited for The Lion King, Jr. and Annie!

News

Congratulations Athletes!

• School Life

Seniors’ Final Days: A Gallery

School Life

7 Key Steps to Preparing for Final Exams

Culture

8 Tips for a Great Gym Meet

Entertainment

6 Tips for Incoming Seniors

School Life

Imbolo Mbue and Behold the Dreamers

School Life

Walk Out Prayer Service

Showcase

Haley Wehberg Named Prep Player of the Week

Clubs

Introducing the Ski Club!

Culture

Names and Dates of Black History Month

The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School