Grey Towers

Open Letter to Second-Semester Seniors

Warning: Quarantine Zone Ahead

Warning: Quarantine Zone Ahead

Source: The Highlander Online

Source: The Highlander Online

Warning: Quarantine Zone Ahead

Seniors, we’ve made it this far. You’ve survived most of your years at Maryvale and now we’re in the home stretch. Here are some steps you can take to stay motivated now that you feel you’re already in college.

And teachers, please cut us some slack. We’re not lazy, Senioritis is real.

If you catch us zoning out in class, we’re dreaming about graduation. If we’re on our computers, more than likely, we’re looking at prom dresses and cute dorm inspo (sorry).

If you catch us falling behind, remind us that we’re almost done. Not quite yet, but we won’t have these classes forever. Teachers, this is your last semester with us. We should all treasure these last few months together.

But enough missing what hasn’t been lost. 2018, this is for you.

1.) Don’t skip classes. Not that any students would ever do this, but if you’re thinking about going to first lunch instead of class, remember it’s not worth making up the work later.

2.) Limit your time online. This means Instagram, Snapchat, and Netflix. I know you’d rather watch Greys or America’s Next Top Model, or even re-watch Supernatural for the fourth time, but do your homework.

If you don’t think you have anything to do, check OnCampus for assignments that are coming up and get a headstart. Be diligent. I’m a huge hypocrite here but hey, we’re all doing our best.

3.) Stay Motivated. Try not to look at it as “Ugh I have four more months of this” and flip it around to “I only have four more months.”

4.) Remember that colleges look at second semester. Just ask Mrs. Graham. She’ll tell you the horror stories about seniors getting into their dream colleges and falling for senioritis, and getting that acceptance taken back.

If you absolutely flunk your second semester, there are going to be actual consequences. No pressure, just do your best as you’ve always done.

5.) Keep your head on straight. No offense, but prom isn’t as important as school. I know it’s easy to fight me on that, but seriously, it’ll all work out. Prom tickets will not be $300. I promise.  And to our class officers, keep your heads up, you’re doing great.

As cheesy as it sounds to a bunch of tired seniors who are just trying to survive until graduation, have fun. I know you want to just sit back and let the weeks and months fly by around you, but this is honestly our last semester together.

Enjoy yourselves.

Some last minute tips: try to limit the drama (we want to part ways as friends), and don’t forget we’re all in this together (dang, HSM). We’re all on this struggle bus and before you know it, we’ll be graduates.

You guys can do this. You’ve survived this long, don’t give up when you’re just about to reach the finish line.

And if you need a good laugh, here are the four types of second-semester seniors according to Magoosh.com

If you’re still unconvinced senioritis is even real, here are the facts.

• Open Letter to Second-Semester Seniors

News

Congratulations Athletes!

• School Life

Seniors’ Final Days: A Gallery

School Life

7 Key Steps to Preparing for Final Exams

Culture

8 Tips for a Great Gym Meet

Entertainment

6 Tips for Incoming Seniors

School Life

Imbolo Mbue and Behold the Dreamers

School Life

Walk Out Prayer Service

Showcase

Haley Wehberg Named Prep Player of the Week

Clubs

Introducing the Ski Club!

Culture

Names and Dates of Black History Month

The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School
Open Letter to Second-Semester Seniors