Grey Towers

A Review of Wonder

My review on the movie Wonder.

Cover+for+the+book+version+of+Wonder.++
Cover for the book version of Wonder.

Cover for the book version of Wonder.

Cover for the book version of Wonder.

A few weeks prior to Thanksgiving, a movie called Wonder was released in movie theaters. The movie is an adaptation on the book Wonder, which was written by Raquel J. Palacio.

Wonder, which is based on a true story, narrates the life of a young boy named August Pullman, who has a disorder called Treacher Collins Syndrome. Treacher Collins syndrome (TCS) is a genetic disorder, which causes deformities of the ears, eyes, cheekbones, and the chin. There are complications associated with having this disorder, but those complications can be lessened with available surgeries.

The movie documents the heartbreak and the light-hearted moments as “Auggie” (August) navigates his way through fifth grade, attending a mainstream elementary school after being home-schooled for many years. Auggie faces many hardships such as bullying, insecurities with himself, and learning to accept his situation.

Although there were some incredibly heartbreaking moments in the movie, there was a fair share of heartwarming and inspiring moments that tug at the heart strings. In one particularly moving moment, Auggie’s friend, Jack, says that he did not care that Auggie looks different; he cares only that he has a true friend.

The cast of Wonder does a tremendous job acting in their roles, and the casting team did an excellent job choosing the actors and actresses for their roles. One actor of particular note was Jacob Tremblay, who played Auggie. He successfully portrayed the pain that the bullying inflicted on his character, and his emotions were palpable. Other notable mentions are Julia Roberts (Auggie’s mother, Isabel), Owen Wilson (Auggie’s father, Nate), and Isabel Vidovic, who played Auggie’s sister, Via.

Movies like this are important because sadly, bullying is a prevalent issue in today’s world, and there needs to be a stop to it.

According to pacer.org, more than 20.8% of students (that’s one out of every five students) report being bullied at least once. However, this statistic does not reflect all the kids who are being bullied, as about 64% of bullied children do not report it, which means only 36% of those being bullied actually reported it.

This movie is inspiring, and is recommended to anyone who likes to laugh (but be warned–there are some sad moments in the movie).  The overall message of this movie is to not judge a book by its cover, and this is a message applicable to the world at large: you never know what someone’s situation may be.

• A Review of Wonder

Culture

Names and Dates of Black History Month

• A Review of Wonder

Service

Lions or Polar Bears? Students Take the Plunge

• A Review of Wonder

Culture

Alone on Valentine’s Day? Here’s What You Can Do Instead

• A Review of Wonder

Entertainment

Get Excited for The Lion King, Jr. and Annie!

• A Review of Wonder

School Life

Variety Show Winner: Everyone!

• A Review of Wonder

Entertainment

Open Letter to Second-Semester Seniors

• A Review of Wonder

School Life

Tech Week Survival Guide: Lion King Jr. Edition

• A Review of Wonder

School Life

Thes Fest 2018 (ITS Field Trip Fun!)

• A Review of Wonder

School Life

Wait, What’s NHS Again?

• A Review of Wonder

Showcase

The Anticipation of Championships

The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School
A Review of Wonder