The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School

Grey Towers

La Café de Maryvale

Last year, the Maryvale Spanish Cultures and Conversations class put together a Spanish cafe, modeled after the famous cafe in Mexico City, Café de Tacuba.  Teachers and students were invited to attend and had the chance to speak with the students in Spanish and English and receive a real cafe experience.

This year, on Thursday May 11, the class will be holding another cafe, but this time with a little twist.

Instead of the students waiting on the teacher as themselves, this year, the girls will be dressed as famous figures from Mexican history. Throughout the entire cafe, the students will wait on teachers and students in character and dressed as their historic figures. Teachers will have the opportunity to meet many different people during their time at the cafe.

A few of the famous figures that attendees can see are Selena, a famous Mexican-American singer; Amalia Hernandez, a legendary Mexican ballet choreographer; Frida Kahlo, one of the greatest artists in Mexican and international history; Diego Rivera who was also a highly acclaimed Mexican artist.

The students of the Spanish Cultures and Conversations class have been diligently working on memorizing facts about their figure’s lives and jobs so they can give guests the best experience possible.

In addition to being served by and hearing about the life of the iconic figures, visitors will also get to see them perform. The class has been divided into several groups and each group will conduct a performance demonstrating the strengths and talents of their chosen figures.

Also, teachers and students will be given a packet of short biographies of each of the figures being portrayed and teachers will need to guess which student is playing which famous figure.

The Spanish Cultures and Conversations class is excited to show the school what they have been working on for the past month and would love for the community to come out and see what their hard work has culminated to. The cafe will be held on Thursday, May 11, during period 5C (12:10-12:45) on the castle terrace. Please come out and support the students that have been working so diligently to make your experience the best it can possibly be.

• La Café de Maryvale

School Life

2017 Field Trip Day

• La Café de Maryvale

School Life

The Seniors Explore New York City

• La Café de Maryvale

Service

HorizonWALKS: One Step Closer to Soaring

• La Café de Maryvale

Clubs

Featured Clubs 2017-2018

• La Café de Maryvale

Service

October Service Highlight

• La Café de Maryvale

Opinion

Will I Have to “Babysit” During Homecoming?

• La Café de Maryvale

Service

Maryland State Police Present the Polar Bear Plunge

• La Café de Maryvale

Service

Maryvale Recognizes Breast Cancer Awareness

• La Café de Maryvale

Service

Habitat for Humanity: Building Homes and New Opportunities

• La Café de Maryvale

Showcase

Maryvale Varsity Soccer: Update & Games

La Café de Maryvale