The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School

Grey Towers

And the Award Goes to . . .

Maryvale's second annual Preforming Arts Banquet wrapped up the 2016-1017 theater and performing arts season.

Mrs. Manuel and Mrs. Malloy   welcome the students to the theatre banquet.

Mrs. Manuel and Mrs. Malloy welcome the students to the theatre banquet.

May 5th marked the night of the second Annual Maryvale Performing Arts Awards.  All student were cordially invited to the banquet.

The attire for the night was semi-formal.  As students, family members, and friends arrived to the Maryvale McCarthy building and theater, girls waited in anticipation for the events of the night to be carried out.  There were many events on the agenda for this evening, celebrating the students of Maryvale’s Performing Arts Department.  There were participation awards for members of the cast and crew of all shows from this theater season, along with awards for chorus and ensemble members. Additionally, there was a review of the Cappies season, International Thespian Society inductions, and ITS Officer inaugurations, senior and 8th grade special awards and recognition, and finally, the announcement of Maryvale’s Theater productions for the 2017-2018 season.

Photo of Emily Alcaraz’s ’17 banquet pins.

The Awards ceremony started at 5pm. To start off the night, there were pins given to all those who have participated in the different performing arts events at Maryvale. These include: The Little Mermaid, senior-directed shows, Coffee House, ensemble, chorus, and The Little Princess. Each girl was called up and recognized and walked across the stage to receive a pin for their performance.

Next up for the night, there were Cappies Comendees.  These young ladies from the cast and crew of The Little Mermaid did not receive a Cappies nominations, but the theater team believed they should be recognized for their hard work and dedication.  The Cappies Comendees were:

Brooke Yanaga

Sophia Rampolla

Julia Grier

Sam Dore

Additionally, Destiny Hargrove was recognized for her hard work and amazing job well done as Sebastian in The Little Mermaid.

Hargrove received a Cappies  nomination, which means that on May 21st at the Cappies Gala she will have the chance to win  in the category of Best Supporting Actress. Also at this gala, the lovely Mersisters will be given the opportunity to preform their showstopping number “She’s in Love” for all in attendance.

Following the review on Maryvale’s Cappies season was the induction and inauguration or the ITS (International Thespian Society) members and officers. These girls were presented with their troupe number, certificate, and pin to symbolize their membership. The newly appointed officers then presented the senior ITS members with their graduation chords that represent ITS. These chords symbolize the girls dedication and membership of ITS. The seniors will bear these cords as they walk on the day of graduation and receive their diploma.

Next up were individual awards that were presented to 8th graders and seniors.

The Rising Star Award. This  award is presented to an 8th grade student who consistently rises to the occasion. This student exemplifies a positive outlook, and goes above and beyond to meet her commitments in the performing arts department.  This year’s Rising Star Award was given to two students:

Cecilia Frederick

Ella White

Lucy Yezulians poses with her Leadership Award after the ceremony

The Leadership Award is presented to a senior who takes initiative in the Maryvale Performing Arts department. The recipient is a creative and independent thinker who pursues a course of action that advances the Performing Arts department in a variety of ways.  This year’s Leadership Award was awarded to:

Lucy Yezulinas

Distinguished Service Award is presented to a senior who provides a specialized service to the Performing Arts Department, based on their unique and individualized gifts and talents.  This year’s Distinguished Service Award was awarded to:

Amelia Smith

The Dedication to the Arts is presented to a senior with unwavering commitment to the performing arts department, demonstrating her devotion through going above and beyond in multiple capacities. This years’ Dedication to the Arts was awarded to three students:

Grace Carney

Miranda Lassiter

Sophie Koch

The Unsung Hero Award is presented to a senior who gives to the performing arts department without any thought of recognition. The recipient of this award consistently meets expectations of the performing arts department through her adherence to the rules, positive attitude and encouragement of others.  This year’s Unsung Hero Award was presented to:

Emily Alcaraz

The Thespian of the Year is the highest honor given in the International Thespian Society. This award is presented to the International Thespian Society member who has the highest number of Thespian Points, and consistently upholds the values of the Maryvale Theatre Department, through their Leadership, Dedication and Citizenship. This year’s recipient of the Thespian of the Year award went to:

Sophia Rampolla

Four Maryvale seniors pose on stage for a picture after their final bow.

After individual awards were presented, all seniors were welcomed to the stage to receive a flower and present it to their parents. This flower symbolizes a thank-you for the parents’ time, support and dedication to helping their daughters and the department. Next, the seniors were invited onto the stage to take their final bow on the Maryvale stage.

Finally, the moment for the announcement of Maryvale’s Theater productions for the 2017-2018 season came. Girls waited in anticipation for the reveal of the fall, winter, and spring show choices. Here is what they were:

In the fall, Maryvale will be putting on the play Radium Girls.  This preformance with be high school only. Here is a little bit about the play:

In 1926, radium was a miracle cure; Madame Curie an international celebrity; and luminous watches the latest rage until the girls who painted them began to fall ill with a mysterious disease. Inspired by a true story, Radium Girls traces the efforts of Grace Fryer, a dial painter, as she fights for her day in court. Her chief adversary is her former employer, Arthur Roeder, an idealistic man who cannot bring himself to believe that the same element that shrinks tumors could have anything to do with the terrifying rash of illnesses among his employees. As the case goes on, however, Grace finds herself battling not just with the U.S. Radium Corporation, but with her own family and friends, who fear that her campaign for justice will backfire.

In the winter, Maryvale will be presenting their first ever middle school only musical. This musical will be The Lion King JR. For those of you who do not know, here is a little about the show:

Animals of the Pridelands intend to welcome the newborn cub of King Mufasa and Queen Sarabi. The king’s jealous brother, SCAR, no longer heir to the throne, skips the ceremony, upsetting Mufasa. As Young Simba grows into a curious young lion. Mufasa explains the circle of life and that Young Simba will one day be king of the Pridelands. Young Simba shares this news with Scar, who encourages his nephew to visit the forbidden Elephant Graveyard. After a dangerous adventure. Scar emerges from the darkness to recruit the Hyenas in his murderous plan to become king.  A terrible death takes place, and Scar assumes the throne, uniting lions and hyenas under his dark reign. Lost in the desert, Young Simba meets new friends who take him to their “worry-free” jungle home. With newfound courage, Simba returns to the Pridelands and  confronts his uncle about the Mufasa’s murder. With peace restored in the Pridelands, Simba takes his place as king and the circle of life continues.

In the Spring, Maryvale will carry out a whole school production of Annie. 

An orphan, Annie lives in an orphanage run by the mean Miss Hannigan. Annie believes that her parents left her there by mistake. When a rich man named Oliver “Daddy” Warbucks decides to let an orphan live at his home to promote his image, Annie is selected. While Annie gets accustomed to living in Warbucks’ mansion, she still longs to meet her parents. So Warbucks announces a search for them and a reward, which brings out many frauds.

Semiors, Sophia Rampolla and Lucy Yezulians pose with director Ellen Manuel after the ceremony.

After the ceremony, there were girls posing for pictures, along with light refreshments and cake after the ceremony to celebrate all of the girls wonderful accomplishments. All in all the night was a success, and so was the whole preforming arts 2016-2017 season.

• And the Award Goes to . . .

School Life

2017 Field Trip Day

• And the Award Goes to . . .

School Life

The Seniors Explore New York City

• And the Award Goes to . . .

Service

HorizonWALKS: One Step Closer to Soaring

• And the Award Goes to . . .

Clubs

Featured Clubs 2017-2018

• And the Award Goes to . . .

Service

October Service Highlight

• And the Award Goes to . . .

Opinion

Will I Have to “Babysit” During Homecoming?

• And the Award Goes to . . .

Service

Maryland State Police Present the Polar Bear Plunge

• And the Award Goes to . . .

Service

Maryvale Recognizes Breast Cancer Awareness

• And the Award Goes to . . .

Service

Habitat for Humanity: Building Homes and New Opportunities

• And the Award Goes to . . .

Showcase

Maryvale Varsity Soccer: Update & Games

And the Award Goes to . . .