Grey Towers

It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: R1N8

It's time to

It's time to "ring" in a Maryvale Tradition. Credit: Elisa Rodriguez

The month of December is an exciting time of the year. It is the month in which Candy Cane Social, winter break, and Christmas take place. Everyone loves December, whether they go to Maryvale or not; but if they are part of the junior class here, December means so much more.

It is Maryvale tradition for the junior class to receive their school rings on December 8th. This year, it was the Class of 2018’s turn to take part in the tradition. Instead of having only one day to celebrate, the junior class turned the celebration into a week: Ring Week. The student council officers worked together to make sure the days leading up to and following the ceremony we’re unforgettable and filled with “sweet” memories.  Secretary Treasurer Akos Marfo-Sarbeng said, “Ring week was a great way to get the grade excited for the ring ceremony and the ring dance.”

Starting the week off on the Friday before Ring Week, girls partnered up with each other to decorate lockers for their Ring Sister. The grade was able to bring in supplies and treats for each other in order to get excited for Ring. Throughout the week, Student Council officers handed out homemade cupcakes and friendship bracelets in their class colors of teal and black. After working hard during ring ceremony practices, the girls also received sugar and chocolate chip cookies. The week leading up to Ring was filled with some pretty sweet surprises.

Junior Laura Marsico decorating her ring sister Julia Harman locker. Credit: Elisa Rodriguez

Then, the day students had all been waiting for had finally come: Ring! Before the ceremony, the girls participated in a tailgate breakfast. Everyone brought in their favorite breakfast foods to share with each other in preparation for the ceremony. There were muffins and donuts, even a casserole or two.

Finally after getting their Rings the day before, the girls participated in the passing of the ring.  For the final day before the dance, 2018 passed around a giant ring. This was Akos’s favorite part. She described it as “a way for us to interact with other girls in our grade that we don’t usually talk to.” The ring had everyone’s names on it and bore a teal gem to celebrate the class’s colors. Junior Kathryn Evans explained that it was a good way to exit the week and enter the dance.

All in all Ring Week was successful at “ringing” in the ceremony and the dance, and an even better to way to strengthen the bond between the grade itself. Congratulations 2018, and welcome to the sisterhood!

• It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: R1N8

News

Congratulations Athletes!

• School Life

Seniors’ Final Days: A Gallery

School Life

7 Key Steps to Preparing for Final Exams

Culture

8 Tips for a Great Gym Meet

Entertainment

6 Tips for Incoming Seniors

School Life

Imbolo Mbue and Behold the Dreamers

School Life

Walk Out Prayer Service

Showcase

Haley Wehberg Named Prep Player of the Week

Clubs

Introducing the Ski Club!

Culture

Names and Dates of Black History Month

The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School