Grey Towers

Friday Night Frights in the Castle

Seventh graders Laney, Riley, Sophie, and Anahita pose for a picture. Credit to Elisa Rodriguez.

Something spooky happened on Friday night, and it wasn’t homecoming. Last Friday, the middle school held their annual Halloween Party. The entire middle school was invited to dress up in their favorite Halloween accessories and come to the Castle for a fun and frightening night.

It started with spooky stories told by the corpse-bride Dr. Snavely. While Dr. Snavely told the scary tales, Ms. Barnett and Mr. Brown, who were dressed like phantoms, held mirrors around the circle of girls to make the story even scarier. Then at the last line of the story, Ms. Oliver jumped out to scare them with her doll mask. Her mask was “really scary” according to seventh grader Riley Gerbereux.

After all the spooky stories, the middle school girls participated in a selfie scavenger hunt. This was seventh grader Laney Schmugge’s  favorite part. The girls were separated into groups with a list of items they had to take selfies with. They took pictures with spooky spiders and glow in the dark decorations; they even took a silly selfie with a teacher! When all the selfies were over, the last thing on the list was to make a ten line rap about Maryvale.

The girls participated in a toilet paper mummy contest. Credit: Elisa Rodriguez

The girls were “wrapped up” in all the fun. Credit to Elisa Rodriguez.

Following the selfies and the rap, the girls held a toilet paper mummy contest. They split into teams to wrap one girl in toilet paper like a mummy. The team that finished the fastest with the most covered mummy won. Sixth grader Nia Sykes said “It’s really fun,” and that she looks forward to doing it again next year.

After the games, the girls could do a lot of other fun things. Some of them sat with the fortune teller Ms. Oliver to hear about their futures. Other girls devoured the Halloween themed cupcakes, fruit, and pretzels while they guessed how many pieces of candy were in a jar. The final activity of the night was decorating their own candles with colored tissue paper.

When asked if she is looking forward to next year’s, “ABSOLUTELY” (in all caps) was Riley’s typed response.

The Halloween party was filled with lots of frights and lots of cheer, and they are all excited to see what thrills will come next Halloween.

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

News

Congratulations Athletes!

• School Life

Seniors’ Final Days: A Gallery

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

School Life

7 Key Steps to Preparing for Final Exams

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

Culture

8 Tips for a Great Gym Meet

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

Entertainment

6 Tips for Incoming Seniors

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

School Life

Imbolo Mbue and Behold the Dreamers

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

School Life

Walk Out Prayer Service

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

Showcase

Haley Wehberg Named Prep Player of the Week

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

Clubs

Introducing the Ski Club!

• Friday Night Frights in the Castle

Culture

Names and Dates of Black History Month

The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School
Friday Night Frights in the Castle