Grey Towers

Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

The Marian House's next event is on Thursday, October 27th and provides four service hours for interested students.

Women+particpating+at+a+Marian+House+walk.+Credit%3A+Marian+House+
Women particpating at a Marian House walk. Credit: Marian House

Service hours, come and get your service hours!

The Marian House is a transitional home for women and their children who are in need of support services. Some women stay there if they have lost their house, recently gotten out of prison, or are overcoming an addiction. It is located in Baltimore city and is an amazing place that helps these women get back on their feet and into the world again. The Marian House also offers classes for the women and provides programs to help them find jobs. Hannah Laue, one of the group’s leaders, said that the Marian House “is a safe place for them (women)” that provides a loving environment allowing them to grow.

The service group at Maryvale, led by seniors Hannah Laue and Elaina Cain, has their annual Halloween Event coming up on October 27th from 4:30 to 8:30. The club has two events a year: A Halloween Event and a Valentine’s day Event. The Halloween event includes costume contests, games, and prizes for the women and children. After all the fun and games, the Maryvale girls make the women dinner and talk with them for the remainder of the night. The Halloween event is fun to do, and easy to fall in love with.

The next event, held in February, is the Valentine’s Day event. This is Hannah’s favorite event. The girls make dinner for the women and get to know them over the course of the evening. According to Kacie Galloway ’17, “it brightens your day.” After the dinner, the girls introduce the women to everyone else. The women are so appreciative that the girls talk to them and really listen to their stories. “It’s a great thing” stated Kacie.

Club leader Hannah has been to all the Marian House’s event. She first started going to the events because she needed service hours, but after her first event, Hannah wanted to continue going. She loved the Marian House events because it allowed her to “celebrate the women that were there and try to make their lives bit better.” Seeing how much the women appreciated what the girls did at the events, made her want to do more with the Marian House. She became the group leader her junior year, and has loved it ever since.

If you are free Thursday the 27th or need service hours, come to the Marian House’s Halloween event! If you have any questions email Hannah at [email protected]  To learn more visit the Marian House’s website.

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

News

Congratulations Athletes!

• School Life

Seniors’ Final Days: A Gallery

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

School Life

7 Key Steps to Preparing for Final Exams

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

Culture

8 Tips for a Great Gym Meet

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

Entertainment

6 Tips for Incoming Seniors

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

School Life

Imbolo Mbue and Behold the Dreamers

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

School Life

Walk Out Prayer Service

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

Showcase

Haley Wehberg Named Prep Player of the Week

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

Clubs

Introducing the Ski Club!

• Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service

Culture

Names and Dates of Black History Month

The student news site of Maryvale Preparatory School
Halloween: It’s All Fun With Service